We go through hundreds of resumes every week. You would be surprised at some of the things people include in their resume (or some of the important things they leave out!).
To make sure you stand out from the crowd we have put together some tips on what to include with your application to improve your chances of getting noticed.
What information you need to include
- A cover letter explaining which job you are interested in and why you think you would be the right person for the job. mention any relevant skills and experience.
- Your work experience.
- Your salary history. don’t exaggerate. We WILL verify.
- Use your name as the title of your document. you’d be surprised how many CVs we receive named “Resume.doc”.
- List your hobbies or what you like to do on the weekends. If you enjoy playing the guitar or DOTA let us know. Our clients include entertainment, video games, outdoor sports, music and more. We love placing staff in jobs they are passionate about.
- List some of the software which you have used in the past. Example: Excel, Mac OS, Photoshop, After Effects etc.
- List any foreign languages that you speak.
- Awards and Certification you have received.
What information you need NOT include
- Your photo. Believe it or not, we are interested in how well you do your job. We’re not interested in what you look like… Unless you are applying for a job requiring video or face to face interaction with customers. then its ok.
- Your Religion. We welcome all applicant’s regardless of faith.
- The occupation of your parents. Unless your dad is Mayor or Police Chief and can help get us out of trouble. 🙂
- Your birthplace.
- Experience matters. Your age doesn’t.
- Your weight or height. Unless either affects your ability to do the job.
- Your marital status. Number of Kids.
If you are contacted for an interview please be there early. Dress to impress, and good luck!